March 26, 2015
Posted by on
For a while now I’ve been trying to sync my various work calendars, which run on three separate disconnected platforms: Lotus Notes (my current site), Outlook365 (my office), and Google (personal and phone). After trying an open source solution InGoogleCalSync which did half of what I wanted, I found a paid service called AweSync which is darn good – and worth talking about.
Essentially AweSync allows the calendar entries to be sync’ed both ways between Google’s calendar and Lotus Notes. It also syncs tasks and contacts, but I’ve not turned on that feature. The app is clever enough to understand that I have multiple Google calendars, and manage changes between them. The open source app was limited to one-way push, and events could not be edited in both places reliably, but AweSync handles this.
The Outlook calendar sync comes from the boilerplate MS Exchange config on the iPhone which supports contacts, tasks, events, etc. This means that events from my company are two-way sync’ed between Outlook and Google in one calendar, and events from my work site are sync’ed from Lotus Notes to Google in another, and my third Google calendar is for personal information. I can see all these three sub-calendars now in Lotus notes, can tell by colour which is which, and also see an exact match on my mobile phone. Just like it should be when we try to have a central place to manage meetings and appointments – this small app and the darn large behemoth called Google have provided what I needed.
Awesync was a mongrel to setup due to the locked down permissions on my site computer, which essentially needed to be opened up so that it could run properly. The Support team from Awesync were wonderful, and it was their diligence in assisting me that really helped me decide to purchase it (USD$20).
So I still absolutely loathe Lotus Notes as an email and calendar application, but at least I can now manage my appointments properly.
November 12, 2012
Posted by on
I had a bit of trouble syncing my Google calendars (yes there are a few) with the iphone, and now that its working I thought it better to share the knowledge.
The problem I had was that my Google Calendar contained three separate sub-calendars, and two of them would sync, but the third would not. This mean that I could see all my data when I viewed the calendar on whatever browser, but opening the calendar on the setup iPhone was missing one.
The (TLDR) solution is to tell Google which devices it syncs from are meant to show which calendars. You do this by going to the two URLs and authorising the calendars individually.
To make the process even more odd, but logical behind the scenes the second URL is for syncing of mobile devices, and you need to authorise each sub-calendar on each device which may connect to it. This was the key step I was missing – i.e. I had setup sync for the browser, but not in the specific device and then for the sub-calendar.
Once I did that it worked fine. For a more verbose explanation and some side-detail continue reading below.
Read more of this post